Monday, April 7, 2008

Six Days Post-Op

It seems as if I am in an every-other-day pattern with the pain, just like I was with my shoulder/arm. Overdo it, hurt, rest, overdo it. The pain still isn't really bad, more of a deep muscle ache above the knee, especially. My leg is still getting used to walking straight intead of crooked. Of course, having bones sawed off and metall hammered into the bone ends probably doesn't make for a good feeling, either.

I think I am sleeping a lot. They told us all at the hospital to sleep when we are sleepy, so I'm all over that. I had two 2-hour naps yeaterday and then slept a couple of 3-hour stretches on the couch last night. I never made it back into the bedroom. The couch is comfy. I prop my lep up on folded blankets and pillows. I've been using frozen gel packs for cooling.

I'm still very swollen from just above my ankle to above my knee, even when I first get up. After dangling my leg for awhile, it gets worse, of course. The bruising is ugly. The warfarin can be blamed for that. I still have 6 large bruises on my arms from them trying to start an IV and draw blood. They are just starting to fade. They kept getting darker for 3 days after they did all the poking. I look like the "old people" I used to take care of who had bad bruises. Ick.

Physical therapy will be here soon. My home health nurse is coming today to draw blood for INR/PT to see if my warfarin dose is doing the job. It will be the same nurse I've had off and on for the past 3 years with various surgeries. She is good, and she remembers things. She has watched me lose weight -a lot of it- and has watched the dog gain. She always talks to the love birds and asks about things I've mentioned in the past, things I've forgotten about.

Non-knee stuff...

I got some sun over the weekend. It was nice sitting on the patio with The Groom. He carted my walker down the stairs for me. We saw a little white flutterby two days in a row, which reminded us of the hummingbird we saw last year. He put the hummingbird feeders out on plant hooks and filled them with his home brew. We'll be in competition with the neighbors, who put their feeders out last week.

Birds are building nests in neighboring trees and under the hangy-down-things on both sides of our garage just under the roof. I'm sure there is a name for that. The grass is growing, and some plants are starting to shoot up. I can see little leaves on the tops of the radishes I planted several weeks ago. I hope to be able to putz around in the gardens in a few weeks. I have things growing inside that need to be put into the gardens outside.

No comments: